Ok, the upgrade didn’t really cause me any health issues, but it did leave me with a pounding headache. And technically that was my fault, not the software’s.
The main issue was the upgrade of Slaptijack. Apparently going from version 2.2.3 to 2.6 can be a bit dicey. The main issue I ran into was some sort of category blowup during the upgrade. I’ve used Ultimate Tag Warrior for a long time. Unfortunately, I think the way I used categories as tags with UTW caused some issues. In the end, I had to clean up the database by hand in order to get everything working right.
Please let me know if you see any issues on Slaptijack!
Here’s a break down of what I did:
- I fixed up the post meta-data that appears at the bottom of every Slaptijack post to make it cleaner. This includes removing the Comments RSS link that no one ever used!
- Repaired broken categories. (This issue only affected Slaptijack.)
- I stopped using the following plugins:
- Share This – most users of social networking sites know how to submit without me providing a link for them.
- Thumbnail Viewer – This is a fantastic plugin, but I rarely use it. I think it’s better in my case to just link to the occasional image file directly.
- Ultimate Tag Warrior – WordPress now supports tagging directly.
- And finally, my favorite change: I am now using Subversion to maintain all my WordPress installations.